19/10/2011

Frustration - why Chrome OS will always be so close, yet so far

As much as I hate to admit it, I'm doing more and more in a web browser these days. I create documents and pictures on a website, I check my email account via the gmail website, I connect with people via social networks (I rarely text) and I'm certainly not likely to stop that any time soon.



When I consider that fact, I often wonder why I'm not using chrome/chromium OS right now - in fact, I wonder why I've just bought a workhorse tower desktop. The inconvenient truth is that there will always be stuff I can't do in a browser.
It's a real bummer - the majority of the software on my machine will be used very rarely, so it sits there taking up space and slowing everything down. Compiling, packaging and other computing stuff - yes, I know there are sites which can do that, but they do it badly. System management, such as monitoring tests and fixing, themes, partitioning (don't make me boot up a crappy live CD every time), printing... the list goes on. Pesky little things that I really need but only want about once a week make chrome OS impractical for a primary machine. Grrr...
But enough complaining - I'm here to post a call to arms. It's time to make sure that EVERYTHING can be done in a browser. That doesn't mean on line - it means an html file to do stuff so that we can run everything from one window and enjoy the benefits of Chrome OS without the disadvantage of being stuck on line. That's definitely coming, but we all want it to come sooner. So let's do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment